[OCLUG-Tech] Spam Assassin question

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Spam Assassin question
  • From: Hugh Campbell <hdc [ at ] fs [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:08:31 -0400
I am using KMail 1.8.2 on Mandriva 2006.  I enabled Spam Assassin a couple of
months ago to filter out spam under KMail, using the 'idiot' button (aka
Wizard) provided within KMail.

The spam filtering definitely _does_ work but it doesn't seem particularly
effective.  At a minimum, it seems much less trainable than my cat (that's
not a lot).  I seem to be training the spam filter repetitively against the
same or very similar types of mail.

In frustration, I finally decided to set up a quick filter in KMail to get rid
of the e-mail "What is OEM Software" that I keep getting, and remembered that
I shouldn't have to hand write a filter to get rid of such a trivially
easy-to-spot spam.

What am I doing wrong?  Did I forget to flip a switch somewhere?

Hugh