[OCLUG-Tech] Should be a simple question re: unicode -- I think??

Hi;

I have a couple of symbols I would like to use in text documents (eg.
gedit, emacs, evolution compose and/or OOWriter) but I can't figure how
to insert the symbols using keystrokes.  Up to now I have used my gnome
character map, found the symbols, then cut and pasted.  I have set up my
Windows keyboard 'Menu' key as a compose key which works fine for
ordinary accented letters (i.e. é ).  I have read several 'man' articles
on unicode -- and learnt more than I might ever want to know.

But, I haven't figured out how to add a symbol to a line of text as I
type along.  (in Windows applications I just type ALT+ASCII code).  How
do I do it quickly and easily in Linux?  Can I create a 'universal'
shortcut key to insert specific symbols in various applications?

For example the Gnome Character Map shows two symbols I would like to
use regularly for an article I am writing; U + 25AE and U + 25B2.

A reassurance question:
>From what I have read, an inserted unicode symbol will always be seen
and printed even if used in a document, or on the web.  Is this true?
Does it get lost if the document is downloaded by someone running
Windows?  Does unicode automatically get translated into an ASCII
equivalent or whatever in the Windows OS?

--
Regards Bill