Re: [OCLUG-Tech] New member seeks urgent help.

On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 10:09 -0400, Martin Hicks wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 07:21:58PM -0400, Fred Williams wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, what I'd like to know is how come when I tried to run
> > "pppoeconf" I got an "unknown command" error.  Do I need to ... well, I
> > just don't know what to do next about that, or even what to ask.
> >

> Okay...who did you run the command as?  Your user or root?  Here are
> some instructions that I just pulled out of my *ss.  I don't have a
> fedora box to actually test any of this one.  I don't even know if
> pppoeconf is on a fedora system.

	I was running it in a window console as root.  It may not be on my
system, I'm guessing.  ???

> first, either log in as root or switch to the root user from your normal
> user:
>
> user$  su -
> <type in password here when prompted>
> root#
>
> Then try to run pppoeconf with a bit more intelligent path:
>
> /usr/sbin/pppoeconf
>
> If you still get "command not found" then try this...
>
> find / -name pppoeconf
>
> that will churn a whole lot, and may take quite a long time.  If it
> comes back with any filename that looks to be a binary (i.e., in a bin
> or sbin directory) then try running it with a full path, like I did with
> /usr/sbin above.

	No result from any of the above.  I get a whole bunch of "No such file
of Directory" even with the "-name" command.  I think this system is
badly out of whack,... or maybe I am, but I'm hoping it's the system.

> Follow instructions as pppoeconf prompts you...
> Good luck.

	Thanks, MB, I'm going to need that luck, and maybe a little hand
holding,... prayer.
	OK, on my own recognisance, I have downloaded a file called
"rp-pppoe-3.8.tar.gz"  Does anyone want to venture into telling me what
I might do with it.(;-))

--
Regards,
Fred Williams