Re: [OCLUG-Tech] New member seeks urgent help.

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] New member seeks urgent help.
  • From: Martin Hicks <mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:09:33 -0400
On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 07:21:58PM -0400, Fred Williams wrote:

> Anyway, what I'd like to know is how come when I tried to run
> "pppoeconf" I got an "unknown command" error.  Do I need to ... well, I
> just don't know what to do next about that, or even what to ask.

Okay...who did you run the command as?  Your user or root?  Here are
some instructions that I just pulled out of my *ss.  I don't have a
fedora box to actually test any of this one.  I don't even know if
pppoeconf is on a fedora system.

first, either log in as root or switch to the root user from your normal
user:

user$  su -
<type in password here when prompted>
root#

Then try to run pppoeconf with a bit more intelligent path:

/usr/sbin/pppoeconf

If you still get "command not found" then try this...

find / -name pppoeconf

that will churn a whole lot, and may take quite a long time.  If it
comes back with any filename that looks to be a binary (i.e., in a bin
or sbin directory) then try running it with a full path, like I did with
/usr/sbin above.

Follow instructions as pppoeconf prompts you...
Good luck.
mh

--
Martin Hicks || mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE