Re: [OCLUG-Tech] New member seeks urgent help.

On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 01:30 +0400, Dmitriy Korovkin wrote:
> Hello Fred,
> If you would like to write DVDs, you may use growisofs from
> dvd+rw-tools. I've been using it for ~0.5 year and I like it.
> In order to master a DVD, you may use dvdauthor and dvdstyler
> http://dvdstyler.sourceforge.net/ (I use 1.4 version). You may also take
> a look at http://dnkorovkin.livejournal.com/ (It's in Russian, but it
> has dvdstyles patches that are good to apply. Or you may ask me directly
> and I'll send you SRPM).
> Regards,
> Dmitriy.
===========================
Background:
Right now I just want to get my user files backed up and get my high
speed modem running.  I have a good CD writer around here somewhere and
my system used to recognize it.  I put a DVD drive in the slot and
nothing would acknowledge that it was there.  Fine.  If I can find the
box that my old CD writer is in I should be able to use that.  I
strongly suspect that my Fedora Core 4 system is wonky.  It may be
degrading with time, and things are getting that way.
All afternoon I was unable to get on-line because my modem became
corrupted.  I went into my old 98 system and the Flash prom burner
routine that I have was reported as corrupted.  I was in a bit of a
panic because I couldn't get on-line and I had no way of correcting the
problem.
Eventually I figured it could do no harm and ran the corrupted burner
program and rebuilt my old modem's program.  Good News!  It seems to be
working and now I am here again.
I don't want to configure a DVD drive on the Fedora Core 4 system,
because it is already suspect and I'll be replacing it as soon as I can
get my files backed up and new disc images downloaded.  Why work on
something I'm going to throw out?
=======end background===================

Anyway, what I'd like to know is how come when I tried to run
"pppoeconf" I got an "unknown command" error.  Do I need to ... well, I
just don't know what to do next about that, or even what to ask.

=======I'm proceding in this direction.==================
=======please come looking for me if I get lost.=========
726-1823 (Ottawa West)

First things first.  I need to find my CD writer and se if it's working
with K3b.  Then I can back up my system.  Next I'll have to get the new
Mandriva, (I like Mandrake based systems because they have always
recognised my hardware completely in times past, although the HP scanner
has never really functioned well under Linux).
	I've started going through boxes, and I think I saw a couple of drives
in a box a few days ago, so I'm hoping it won't be long. However in
order to avoid creating a disaster area, (well, MORE of a disaster
area), I am trying to sort things and put them away as I go.  I tend to
panic and throw stuff on the floor if it's not what I'm looking for, and
that is definitely counter productive.  I suppose I can wait a few days
for high speed.  I've waited for several years.

--
Regards,
Fred Williams