Re: [OCLUG-Tech] New member seeks urgent help.

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 12:42:04PM -0400, Fred Williams wrote:
> 	I went and ordered a 3 MByte ADSL modem, which I now have, but, (maybe
> you're heard of this), my ISP doesn't support Linux.  I am running
> Fedora Core 4 presently and can still get on-line with my old V.92
> modem.  I've got the ADSL connected, but that's as far as I got.  How do
> I set this up with my system so it can be used.

The easiest, fastest way to do this is to buy a cheap home router and let it
take care of the ADSL (PPPOE, really) part of things.

> 	I've just moved and many things are still in boxes, like my CD writer.
> I have a new DVD writer around here somewhere, but I never got it to
> work, and for now I'd be just as happy with CDs.

The magic word here is, in my opinion, "K3b" - it's a really, really
good piece of burning software, and more importantly the setup utility
that comes with it (k3b-setup) will tell you what you have and what
you're missing, and configure them appropriately for you.

I can't help you with the video, that's out of my field.

--
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten." - George Carlin