Re: [OCLUG-Tech] New member seeks urgent help.

	I'm a little stressed by all this and other aspects of the nightmare
that is moving to a new city, so I just hit reply and sent the below to
Bill when I intended to get it back here on the Ottawa LUG list.  Below
is what I wrote:

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 13:07 -0400, Bill Strosberg wrote:

> 1)   Your DVD writer usually will write CDs fine.  If you look on the
> front panel it probably has an alphabet soup of compatible media
listed,
> including CD-R, CD-RW along with DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W).

        I suppose it will.  I swapped it last night for what I thought
was a CD
Writer, turns out I never thought to look and I got a 56x CD read only
drive instead.  I'm coming out of a moving nightmare and the old grey
cells aren't clicking like they usually do.  I'm also under a lot of
stress.  I plead temporary loss of competance.

> 2)   There lots of DVD writing software available, and I remember one
of
> the Linux magazines had a VHS to DVD conversion article in it this
past
> year or so. Google is your friend.  I'd first try this before digging
> for your CDR drive.

        Thanks.  Now what did I do with that DVD writer,... Oh, I took
it out
because Fedora didn't acknowledge it's existence.  It doesn't seem to be
big on hardware auto-recognition and/or configuring.

> 3)   The DSL modem from your ISP is usually an external beast with a
> Ethernet cable to your PC.  Most ISPs are using PPPoE (PPP over
> Ethernet), so every distribution in the known world includes our own
> David Skoll's RP-PPPoE package for connecting.  Each distribution
tints
> and tweaks things a little to conform to their own configuration file
> issues, but usually pppoeconf will work from the command line.  This
is
> a curses-based text interface to setting up the DSL modem
connection.
> Plug your DSL modem into an Ethernet interface on your PC, as well as
> the phone line and run pppoeconf - if you follow the instructions you
> should be connected in seconds.  Know your username [ at ] isp [ dot ] com and DSL
> password before trying.

        Thanks forthe fast response.  Here's an idea of what I'm facing.
I started a console as root and entered pppoeconf and got a "Command not
found."  With my limited knowledge, that's a stopper.

> 4)   Please implement some type of comprehensive firewalling.
> Preferably before connecting the Internet, so you don't become some
l33t
> d00dz spam spewing zombie b*tch.  If you are already firewalled, make
> sure you change the default gateway interface to the appropriate PPP
> device, not the Ethernet port it uses.  xDSL uses an unaddressed
> Ethernet port to  connect to the DSL modem, and the actual external
> device used is usually PPP0.  Most Linux boxes connecting to the
> Internet are dual homed with Ethernet interfaces to an internal
network
> as well and an external Ethernet interface connecting to the DSL
modem.
> Shorewall (an iptables wrapper) has worked very well for me.  It has
> Webmin modules available as well.

        Oh, I'll try.  There is a firewall that I have played with and
as far
as I know it's running on the current connection.  There's not a lot of
feedback from it as I remember.

> 5)  If you have any trouble, ask!  One of us in your neighborhood
will
> probably offer to come on site and help if need be.  (I'm a far East
> ender in Orleans).
>
> 6)   If you want Nvidia drivers and feel the need to financially
support
> developers, you may be better to download the drivers and send a
> donation to the GNU.org, the EFF or wherever suite your fancy.
Sending
> Mandriva money may not have the same real benefit for the folks who
> write and support software.

        That sounds like a good idea.

> Hope this helps.

        It's a start,  Thanks.  And NOW?...