Re: [OCLUG-Tech] New member seeks urgent help.

Fred Williams wrote:
Hello Everyone,
	OK, I've been running Linux, (Mandrake & more recently Fedora Core 4),
as an ignorant user, but I now have moved to Ottawa and for the first
time High Speed Internet is available to me.
	I went and ordered a 3 MByte ADSL modem, which I now have, but, (maybe
you're heard of this), my ISP doesn't support Linux.  I am running
Fedora Core 4 presently and can still get on-line with my old V.92
modem.  I've got the ADSL connected, but that's as far as I got.  How do
I set this up with my system so it can be used.
	I want to backup my files and then switch to the new Mandriva, and I
might even try actually buying the Power Pack to get the NVidia drivers
and manuals.
	I've just moved and many things are still in boxes, like my CD writer.
I have a new DVD writer around here somewhere, but I never got it to
work, and for now I'd be just as happy with CDs.
	Ultimately, I want to edit video and convert all my old VHS tapes to
DVD format.  I think it should be better to do it on the computer than
with a component DVD writer bought seperately, but I'm open to greater
wisdom.  Is there software available for this.  Can it enhance the video
as well?
	I'd really like to get the ADSL going, anyway, as I'm already paying
for the account.

1) Your DVD writer usually will write CDs fine. If you look on the front panel it probably has an alphabet soup of compatible media listed, including CD-R, CD-RW along with DVD+R(W) and DVD-R(W).

2) There lots of DVD writing software available, and I remember one of the Linux magazines had a VHS to DVD conversion article in it this past year or so. Google is your friend. I'd first try this before digging for your CDR drive.

3) The DSL modem from your ISP is usually an external beast with a Ethernet cable to your PC. Most ISPs are using PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet), so every distribution in the known world includes our own David Skoll's RP-PPPoE package for connecting. Each distribution tints and tweaks things a little to conform to their own configuration file issues, but usually pppoeconf will work from the command line. This is a curses-based text interface to setting up the DSL modem connection. Plug your DSL modem into an Ethernet interface on your PC, as well as the phone line and run pppoeconf - if you follow the instructions you should be connected in seconds. Know your username [ at ] isp [ dot ] com and DSL password before trying.

4) Please implement some type of comprehensive firewalling. Preferably before connecting the Internet, so you don't become some l33t d00dz spam spewing zombie b*tch. If you are already firewalled, make sure you change the default gateway interface to the appropriate PPP device, not the Ethernet port it uses. xDSL uses an unaddressed Ethernet port to connect to the DSL modem, and the actual external device used is usually PPP0. Most Linux boxes connecting to the Internet are dual homed with Ethernet interfaces to an internal network as well and an external Ethernet interface connecting to the DSL modem. Shorewall (an iptables wrapper) has worked very well for me. It has Webmin modules available as well.

5) If you have any trouble, ask! One of us in your neighborhood will probably offer to come on site and help if need be. (I'm a far East ender in Orleans).

6) If you want Nvidia drivers and feel the need to financially support developers, you may be better to download the drivers and send a donation to the GNU.org, the EFF or wherever suite your fancy. Sending Mandriva money may not have the same real benefit for the folks who write and support software.

Hope this helps.

--
Bill Strosberg