Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Postifx/SMTP problem - Sender address rejected

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Postifx/SMTP problem - Sender address rejected
  • From: Michael Walma <michael [ at ] walma [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 16:26:30 -0500
On February 4, 2006 03:55 pm, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> > # whois google.com
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >    Name Server: NS2.GOOGLE.COM
> >    Name Server: NS1.GOOGLE.COM
> >    Name Server: NS3.GOOGLE.COM
> >    Name Server: NS4.GOOGLE.COM
> >
> > Also, it is not really self-referential, the initial request goes to the
> > root servers who return the IP addresses, not just the names, of your
> > name servers.  Or so I understand, not being a DNS guru.
>
> Accept that while NS1.GOOGLE.COM is registered, NS1.WALMA.ORG is not.
>
> $ whois NS1.WALMA.ORG
> NOT FOUND
>
> $ whois NS1.GOOGLE.COM
>    IP Address: 216.239.32.10
>
> I am not exactly sure what this is called; a host entry, or a server
> entry.  Whatever the name, you have to talk to your registrar and have
> your NS1 associated with the IP in the whois database.  I assume that
> this IP is static...  if not you will have to talk to your registrar
> each time your IP changes.
>
> -Bart

Okay, now I am really confused.  walma.org is registered with internic.ca, and
ns1.walma.org is specified, together with my static ip, as the primary dns
server.  Querying the authoritative root servers for the 'org' tld for
walma.org gives the correct name server name (ns1.walma.org) and ip
information (64.26.160.120).

If I understand you, you are suggesting that I need to go through a separate
registration process for my name server?  Or was my registrar supposed to
have done it on my behalf?  I was under the impression that since I host the
authoritative name server for the walma.org domain, I could create
sub-domains and distinct hosts as I please.  No?

I certainly admit that 'whois ns1.walma.org' fails, but I've never registered
the domain 'ns1.walma.org' only 'walma.org'.

Michael