Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Postifx/SMTP problem - Sender address rejected

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Postifx/SMTP problem - Sender address rejected
  • From: Bart Trojanowski <bart [ at ] jukie [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 15:55:22 -0500
* Michael Walma <michael [ at ] walma [ dot ] org> [060204 15:34]:
> On February 4, 2006 02:50 pm, Dan Langille wrote:
> > >
> > > $ whois walma.org
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > Name Server:NS1.TWISTED4LIFE.COM
> > > Name Server:NS1.WALMA.ORG
> > >             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > That is going to cause some problems.
> >
> > I think it would help if you explained why you say this.
>
> Yes please.  If you are suggesting that it bad practice to do your own DNS,
> I'd point out that it is pretty common.
>
> # whois google.com
>
> <snip>
>
>    Name Server: NS2.GOOGLE.COM
>    Name Server: NS1.GOOGLE.COM
>    Name Server: NS3.GOOGLE.COM
>    Name Server: NS4.GOOGLE.COM
>
> Also, it is not really self-referential, the initial request goes to the root
> servers who return the IP addresses, not just the names, of your name
> servers.  Or so I understand, not being a DNS guru.

Accept that while NS1.GOOGLE.COM is registered, NS1.WALMA.ORG is not.

$ whois NS1.WALMA.ORG
NOT FOUND

$ whois NS1.GOOGLE.COM
   IP Address: 216.239.32.10

I am not exactly sure what this is called; a host entry, or a server
entry.  Whatever the name, you have to talk to your registrar and have
your NS1 associated with the IP in the whois database.  I assume that
this IP is static...  if not you will have to talk to your registrar
each time your IP changes.

-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/