Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Internet connection through cable modem

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Internet connection through cable modem
  • From: Martin Hicks <mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 10:46:10 -0500
On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 09:55:09AM -0500, Sunil Kulkarni wrote:
> Hi there!
> I recently installed Suse Linux 9.3 on my laptop (it's a Dell make with a
> pentium 4 & has a ethernet card). It connects to internet at my institute by
> plugging into their network. However, at home using Rogers cable
> (Motorola-SB5100 SURFboard cable modem) internet (which is working fine on
> my windows pc) if I try to hook the laptop to the internet it fails. I tried
> to set up Automatic Address Setup (via DHCP) using YaST but it didn't work.
> Upon calling Rogers their support team expressed their inability to provide
> help for Linux OS. Is there anything specific I need to specify in the
> settings/configuration? If any of you have experienced similar problem and
> found some way out then please let me know.

I thought DHCP was enough.  When you select DHCP and do a
disable/enable cycle from Yast on the interface do you actually get an
IP Address?  (I have no idea what status info YaST provides, as I've
never used it).

If the graphical interface doesn't provide such information then looking
at the output of "/sbin/ifconfig eth0" from a terminal should show you
what your IP address is under "inet addr:".

Hopefully others on the list will have better advice to do specifically
with Rogers and SUSE.

mh

--
Martin Hicks || mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE