[OCLUG-Tech] Internet connection through cable modem

Hi there!
I recently installed Suse Linux 9.3 on my laptop (it's a Dell make with a
pentium 4 & has a ethernet card). It connects to internet at my institute by
plugging into their network. However, at home using Rogers cable
(Motorola-SB5100 SURFboard cable modem) internet (which is working fine on
my windows pc) if I try to hook the laptop to the internet it fails. I tried
to set up Automatic Address Setup (via DHCP) using YaST but it didn't work.
Upon calling Rogers their support team expressed their inability to provide
help for Linux OS. Is there anything specific I need to specify in the
settings/configuration? If any of you have experienced similar problem and
found some way out then please let me know.
 Regards,
 Sunil