Re: [OCLUG-Tech] USB keyboard remapping

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 08:34:40AM -0400, Mike Hoye wrote:

> I'd like to see an answer to that that includes citations of modern
> studies and metrics, if it's possible. I strongly suspect that the
> answer is 'no'.

Both anectodally and from my limited experience so far, I would doubt
that, and instead say 'probably yes'.  At the very least, it
significantly reduces finger travel, because a large number of words
(including several long ones) can be done entirely or almost entirely
on the home row.

There are other factors to consider, though.  The retraining is a bit
slow and arduous, though I'm getting it slowly.  Also, I'm consdering
getting a Blackberry, which uses a Qwerty keyboard, albeit one you use
two thumbs on.  It remains to be seen whether my brain will consider
that a mental conflict or not.