Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Parsing when compiling C - generalized understanding question?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Parsing when compiling C - generalized understanding question?
  • From: William Case <billlinux [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:57:38 -0400
Hi Brenda;

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 12:05 -0400, Brenda J. Butler wrote:

> > > Me and universities will never mix.
> >
> > What I'm trying to point out here is that this stuff is complex.  If you
>
> Mort is right.  And that's why they pay us the big bucks :-)
>
> Sure, average joe/jane can write a quickie program.  But
> there is a lot going on under the hood to make it possible.
> And just understanding the toolset (which I am still trying
> to do) is a huge job (these days), much less writing a
> half-useful application.

I am nowhere near writing a half-useful program.  If that day arrives,
I'll reconsider.  I just wanted an overview.  It appears that it is far
more complex than I anticipated.  I have too many other learning curves
to climb first.  Hell, I can't even spell 'facetious' -- not even close.
I will probably peruse the dragon book at some point soon; read the lead
paragraph or two and remain content for a while.

> To get as far as I have in understanding, I have made
> use of several of my university courses.  So while Bill
> might not like formal schooling, it does hold some of
> the information he is looking for.

Your experience with University is different from mine -- but then I
took Arts.

By the way Brenda, I said I had a couple of questions. To quote you
"Hey! We're way past two questions here!".  I know in the U.K. and the
U.S. a couple means two.  However, in Canada I have found that a
'couple' means some indefinite number greater than 1.  As in, "I'll be
out of the bathroom in a couple of minutes" or "It will only take me a
couple of minutes to get ready".

Regards Bill