Re: [OCLUG-Tech] dumb cvs question

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 02:25:03PM -0400, Glenn Henshaw wrote:

> The CVS I'm used to fails when you try this. The message is
> something like "version outdates, you must merge first". I had
> always thought that CVS worked on an edit-update-commit pattern
> where it was the committer's responsibility to merge his/her changes
> with the repository.

This is how it always worked for me, yes.  However, I no longer use
CVS for anything except one-time pulling from various online
repositories.  For any more extensive development, I use scripts to
convert from CVS to my preferred SCM system and pull my changes from
there, since CVS is fairly useless without write access to the
original repository (and doesn't meet my needs at work, either).