[OCLUG-Tech] Re: Using Character Codes ?

Hi;

I am trying to use character codes shown to me by my gnome character map
gui.  The two codes I want to use are described as follows:

۸

U+06F8 EXTENDED ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT EIGHT

General Character Properties
Unicode category: Number, Decimal Digit

Various Useful Representations
UTF-8: 0xDB 0xB8
Octal escaped UTF-8: \333\270
Decimal entity reference: ۸

ˍ

U+02CD MODIFIER LETTER LOW MACRON

General Character Properties
Unicode category: Letter, Modifier

Various Useful Representations
UTF-8: 0xCB 0x8D
Octal escaped UTF-8: \313\215
Decimal entity reference: ˍ

Annotations and Cross References

Notes:
 • low level tone

See also:
 • U+005F LOW LINE
 • U+0331 COMBINING MACRON BELOW

Used in a sample they should look like this:

schoolbus <|۸ˍˍ۸۸ˍˍ۸۸۸ˍˍˍˍ۸|>

The test picture above should be:
<|(inverted V)(short underline)(inverted V)(inverted V)(short underline)
etc.|>

- Did the picture show up as it was supposed to?
- Besides copying and pasting, is there a way to insert the code using
compose key or binding to another key?
- If there is, which code from above should I use and why?

I want to use these characters with Monospace Font and Unicode (UTF-8).

Regards Bill

P.S Is this technical enough for this list or should I have used the
general list?

message navigation