[OCLUG-Tech] modem woes

I'm trying to get an external modem to work on a couple of machines and
it just doesn't seem to want to work.

When I plug this Hayes 56k external modem into the machine that is
supposed to have the modem the RD and SD lights come on, in addition to
the RS and MR lights.  The recieve data and send data lights should not
be on.  They aren't on when I hook this modem up to my laptop.

The modem doesn't respond to any useful commands in minicom although it
works fine on my laptop

This doesn't seem to be a linux related issue since the extra lights are
on right from power-on.  This weird situation also happens on two
different machines, and doesn't appear on the third.

The kernel dmesg reports ttyS0 and ttyS1 are both 16550A and they're at
0x3f8 and 0x2f8 respectively.

mh

--
Martin Hicks || mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE