Re: [OCLUG-Tech] alsa problems

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 07:51:22PM -0400, William Case wrote:
> the following maybe helpful.  Although a file called alsaconf still
> exists it is not used. Instead asound.conf and asound.state in /etc are
> used. asound.conf can only be set by using system-config-soundcard.  Any

	Hmm, I'm using Sarge based on a Slink-then-Woody install from years
back.  I just switched to Alsa, and all works, tho I have the alsa-oss wrapper
package for a util or two that don't know alsa.  It does crummify the
incomming sound quality for the closed source Skype binary ...

- "man alsactl" says that the settings are in /var/lib/alsa/asound.state ...
  yep, there they are.

- my /etc/alsa directory has two short scripts: one seems to start or stop
  /etc/init.d/alsa for each device, and the other runs after a module is
  loaded, apparently taking exception to a "snd-emu8000-synth" device.

	I suspect that in some install or upgrade you have a leftover conf
file that follows some older standard, and your current Alsa reads.  Maybe if
you slow down your bootup console messages (with ScrollLock) you'll see some
comment.

SIDE NOTE: I hate most of the mixer apps for Alsa.  I find "gamix" to be the
best for X.  I'd still like explanations on "Bypass" buttons, what my "AD
Input Select" does, and why I have a "Master Playback" (stereo) and "Master
Mono Playback" (which doesn't work) for my ens1370 (Soundblaster 128).  Maybe
I'll comb the Alsa site someday ...

         Say NO to HTML emails:     http://expita.com/nomime.html