Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Remote X from *dm.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 09:49:45AM -0400, Michael Walma wrote:

> I think I am looking at trying to do the same thing.  What I want to
> be able to do is use my laptop, in effect, as a wireless display
> connected to my desktop machine which resides in my basement.  I
> want all apps, even the window manager, to be running on the
> desktop, so that I have a seamless experience; being at the laptop
> or being at the desktop is identical.

This part is easy.  You run an X server with nothing on it, and then
run the X session (window manager, etc.) on the target system,
pointing at your server with the DISPLAY environment variable.  I've
done this plenty in the old days.

The tricky part, and the part I'm assuming people are trying to figure
out here, is how to disconnect the session and reattach it later. I've
never tried that.