Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Same Evolution - different users

Hi Mike;

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 13:13 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Thanks Mike;
>
> I see what you are talking about.  I'll try it this evening and let you
> know.

I tried your suggestion.  My /home/user1/.Xauthority file only opens in
emacs and its empty.  .Xauthority doesn't currently exit in user2.  Man
has no explantion of .Xauthority.

I am going to keep your post and try again to solve this problem in a
couuple of weeks.  I have too much on my plate right now.

> On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 12:49 -0400, Mike Denhoff wrote:
>
> > I wonder if this might work.  Set up evolution only for user1.  When
> > you are logged on as user2, start an xterm and su to user1 and from
> > that start evolution as user1.  This will take some xauth magic to get
> > evolution running as user1 to display in X running as user2.
> >
> > I don't understand xauth properly, but I just tried this. I know it's
> > not really the proper way, but ...
> >
> > As user1, su to root,
> > # cp /home/user1/.Xauthority /home/user2/.Xauthority
> > # chown user2.users /home/user2/.Xauthority
> > ( make sure the permissions of .Xauthority are correct. )
> > logout, login as user2 and start up X using
> > $ startx
> > open an xterm and do
> > $ su - user1
> >    password
> > $ export DISPLAY=:0.0
> > $ evolution &
> >
> > I just use startx - I'm a simple minded Slackware user.
> > I don't know what gdmflexiserver will do, but if it doesn't overwrite
> > .Xauthority then the above might work.
> >
> > Mike
> > mike DOT denhoff AT nrc DOT ca
>
> It seems to me that two roles | two environments | two users should be
> relatively easy and a fairly common request ... but its not.

Regards Bill