[OCLUG-Tech] Re: Same Evolution - different users

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 03:28:42PM -0400, William Case wrote:
> I am two users; use gdmflexiserver and login and out, to bounce
> between
> them.  I use them for two separate purposes but I would like my mail,
> calendar, tasks and contacts to be the same in both.
>
> I have tried using a link and it didn't work.
>
> I don't mind experimenting; general suggestions of how I might have
> two
> users with one evolution or at least one set of evolution data are
> welcome.

I wonder if this might work.  Set up evolution only for user1.  When
you are logged on as user2, start an xterm and su to user1 and from
that start evolution as user1.  This will take some xauth magic to get
evolution running as user1 to display in X running as user2.

I don't understand xauth properly, but I just tried this. I know it's
not really the proper way, but ...

As user1, su to root,
# cp /home/user1/.Xauthority /home/user2/.Xauthority
# chown user2.users /home/user2/.Xauthority
( make sure the permissions of .Xauthority are correct. )
logout, login as user2 and start up X using
$ startx
open an xterm and do
$ su - user1
   password
$ export DISPLAY=:0.0
$ evolution &

I just use startx - I'm a simple minded Slackware user.
I don't know what gdmflexiserver will do, but if it doesn't overwrite
.Xauthority then the above might work.

Mike
mike DOT denhoff AT nrc DOT ca