[OCLUG-Tech] Remote X from *dm.

Back in the bad old days, it was pretty straightforward to set up xdm to
log yourself into a variety of different machines - you could sit down
at your machine, fire it up and you'd have a full-on remote session on
another system, running remotely.

Now we're in the future, and I can't figure out how to get kdm or gdm
to do that.

What I'd like to do is twofold; one, I'd like to have two X sessions
running on my laptop, which should be straightforward, but I'd like to be
able to log into one locally and one on my server. I'm using one session,
forwarding X over ssh and running everything from a console right now,
which works fine, but is not quite what I'm hoping for.

Ideally, I'd like the "over ssh" part to stay there, though. In a really,
truly perfect world, I'd be able to make it work like screen, and be
able to disconnect whenever I wanted and reconnect to an uninterrupted
session.

The technology, I believe, exists - the documentation, not so much. Or
at least, not the last time I looked. If anyone can point me in the
right direction for this, whether or not it's a good or bad idea,
or whether or not it works at all, I'd very much appreciate it.

--
"Nature abhors a moron." - H. L. Mencken