Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Sockets - need concept only.

Oren Mazor wrote:
The way I'd understand it is that sockets are just one option of many. Its just pushed more because its the popular one for some reason or other (although DBus seems to be getting mention more and more often lately..), as well as being the prefered option by Stevens. Not that i've read the book.

Personally I wouldnt use networking just to talk between two _local_ processes...seems a little overcomplicated? hopefully somebody with more experience can explain.

Is the idea based on portability. Getting two different processes to share memory might end up being architecture specific, but a socket is a socket wither the two processes are running on intel or Z360, and even if one process is running on each!

--
Charles MacDonald      cmacd [ at ] TelecomOttawa [ dot ] net     Stittsville Ontario
1800+ Canadians oppose Bill C-60 which protects antiquated Recording,