Re: /tmp (was Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Current thoughts on filesystem partitioning?)

  • Subject: Re: /tmp (was Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Current thoughts on filesystem partitioning?)
  • From: Adrian Irving-Beer <wisq-oclug [ at ] wisq [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:25:52 -0400
On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 09:06:58AM -0400, Bart Trojanowski wrote:

> You may want to consider bind mounts over symlinks.  It's more
> intuative since bind mounts show up in a global list, while you
> would have to look for all the symlinks.

Makes sense, yes.

> mount -o bind /ext1-1 /tmp
> mount -o bind /ext1-1 /var/tmp

Actually, it'd be /ext1-1/tmp and /ext1-1/vartmp, since I've preferred
to keep them separate.  In Debian, I believe /tmp is cleaned each boot
while /var/tmp is not, so I wanted to preserve that.  I assume that
was my reason at the time, and I've stuck with it since.

> Personally, I only use bind-mounts because they work over chroot/vserver
> barriers, but they work here too.

Right, I've used it for a chrooted per-user FTP daemon (grumble, but
chroot was an acceptable compromise), to get dev-capable directories
into a chrooted tree on a 'nodev' filesystem, to get a more natural
home directory (than a symlink) from an NFS mount, etc.