Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Current thoughts on filesystem partitioning?

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Bart Trojanowski wrote:

> /tmp on tmpfs is a cool hack that a friend told me to try.  I have not
> actually tested it yet, so I don't have first hand experience.  Anyway,
> /tmp will eat up RAM as long as it's used actively.  Once files are
> stale it will get swaped out.  This of course means that files don't
> persist over reboots.

Thanks for mentioning that Bart, and your other thoughts. As I have been
saved more than once by persistent "temp" files before so I'll have to
think carefully ;-)

> You mentioned software RAID... don't use RAID5.  Spend the $50 to get
> another 40G drive and do RAID1 (mirror).

That's what I meant by software RAID. I have another drive but I am not
using a RAID controller, just the kernel driver. ie "software" RAID 1.

Robert, I have tended to keep my / small (150-250 MB) and run out of space
as you mentioned can happen. But you are correct that corruption in / is
very bad to happan, so I will set up a seperate one. Good point. I also
agree with all the updates these days that I have found it impractical to
run any FS as RO for some time.

The PITA I have found with both RH and SuSE installers is that they don't
handle installs with multiple FS properly. Once you make a small root FS
you have to also create FS for all other root dirs that you don't want on
root. Othwerwise their files get installed to root FS (overfilling it),
not to symlinks in say, a large /usr /opt /home FS.

Am I missing something? Or how are people working around this during
installs with the standard installers?

cheers,

 Brett