[OCLUG-Tech] Current thoughts on filesystem partitioning?

Hi,

Historically for my servers and workstations I have tried to make a best
guess for partition sizes and create many different filesystems on
different partititions: /boot, /, /var, /home (and also /usr and /opt.

Of course, as time has gone on, it has been easier to determine reasonable
filesystem sizes on major migrations / disk upgrades, and it's much easier
to allow GBs off slop these days as compared to a few years ago. Still,
this is always a bit of a pain.

What is the "best practice" for filesystem partitioning these days? The
system I am configuring will mostly serve as a firewall, DHCP server and
email gateway. Disk size is 40 GB and will be soft raid.

I am tempted to just create /var (and /tmp normally points /var/tmp) for
active user data and root (/) for mostly static data, and leave it at
that.

cheers,

  Brett