Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Current thoughts on filesystem partitioning?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Current thoughts on filesystem partitioning?
  • From: Adrian Irving-Beer <wisq-oclug [ at ] wisq [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 03:03:27 -0400
On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 12:23:06PM -0400, Bart Trojanowski wrote:

> That's what I thought too.  Then on disk in my RAID-5 array died.  I
> swapped out the bad disk for a good disk, and the recovery started.
> The recovery put so much stress on the other old drives that one of
> them also died.  I didn't lose much data, but I did lose some.
[...]
> 2) spend the extra money fro RAID-1.

But don't rely on it instead of backups.  IMO, aside from RAID-0, RAID
is 95% about uptime, 5% about data survival.

There's always still the risk that a RAID-1 drive going down is simply
the tip of the iceberg, and that whatever caused its death may be
lurking on the remaining drive, waiting to take it down too.