Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Current thoughts on filesystem partitioning?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Current thoughts on filesystem partitioning?
  • From: Bart Trojanowski <bart [ at ] jukie [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 12:23:06 -0400
Dan,

my comment on RAID5 was wrt the original poster mentioning software
RAID.  I think you are using a hardware RAID controller... they may do
things better to reduce stress at recovery time... I don't know.

* Dan Langille <dan [ at ] langille [ dot ] org> [050807 12:14]:
> I have a RAID-5 box as my main development server.  It's not there
> for performance.  It's there for reliability.  I was given an Adaptec
> 2400A which user IDE drives.  So far, it's been great.

That's what I thought too.  Then on disk in my RAID-5 array died.  I
swapped out the bad disk for a good disk, and the recovery started.  The
recovery put so much stress on the other old drives that one of them
also died.  I didn't lose much data, but I did lose some.

From what I read on the web since the incident, RAID5 recovery hickups
are common -- at least with Linux software-RAID.

Anyway, I learned two things:
1) don't use same vintage/manufacturer/production-line drives in any
   redundancy RAID, and
2) spend the extra money fro RAID-1.

> I also use RAID-1 on my workstation.  It's there so a single disk
> failure doesn't require a full restore.

Exactly!

-Bart

--