Re: [OCLUG-Tech] myth TV, Freevo, et al and streaming video....

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] myth TV, Freevo, et al and streaming video....
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 10:15:28 -0400
On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:03:47AM -0400, Bruce Keats wrote:

> I have been thinking of building a PVR system for Rogers cable.  My wife
> was asking if could view and/or control the PVR from a wireless laptop in
> real time.  Well, I thought about it for bit then did some searching, but I
> didn't come up with much.  There is of course the obvious solution of
> running the software directly on the laptop and connecting the laptop to
> rogers cable spigot.  This solution kinda defeats the wireless part of the
> laptop.
>
> Does anyone know if there is any software/hardware that can do this?

You can definitely use a wireless laptop to either view or control the
PVR.  I do this currently.  I've got my main computer hooked up using
a generic TV capture card and recording the shows on its larger hard
drive.  It also has TV-out via a Matrox G400 to the TV in the same
room.  I can then use the laptop as a mythfrontend when I'm
downstairs, and use it to control playback of movies and other
recordings when I'm upstairs near the TV (but working on other
things).

Kevin.