Re: [OCLUG-Tech] reiserfs trouble

On April 3, 2005 11:12 pm, Patrick Smith wrote:
> Mike wrote:
> > Well I just copied everything from the old root to a new partition,
> > modified fstab and menu.lst for grub and I'm getting the same errors.
>
> I'd guess the partition really is fine, and the problem is just that
> you're trying to fsck a read/write mounted partition.
>
> Look at the kernel boot options in grub's equivalent to /etc/lilo.conf
> or /etc/yaboot.conf (I've never used grub, and can't tell you what file
> to look in).  Maybe the kernel is being told to mount the partition
> read-write from the beginning.
>
> Also, take a look at the scripts that run when you system starts.
> Depending on your distribution, these might be in /etc/rc.d.
>
> If that doesn't help, what distribution are you running?  Someone
> familiar with that distribution might be able to help.

to make matters worse the green on my monitor has died so now the screen is
red and blue.  I've tried the other monitor and it won't settle down even in
text, so I may have to go the the other side for a while until I cna get a
replacement.
I am able to get past the reiserfs error by unmounting things - they say they
are not mounted but mount shows them, then remounting and running init  3

I found a reference from last year saying there was a hash 5 error with
reiserfs that should be fixed in the next kernel but that was several kernels
back.

--
Collector of vintage computers http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600
Machines to trade http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600/trade.html