Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Firewalls...

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 10:27:41AM -0500, Remy Boudreau wrote:

> However, I also have an old
> P233MMX with 64 meg ram which I would like to use as a firewall
> between my dial-up connection and my internal network.

I was reading about smoothwall the other day, that's supposed
to be a no-muss, no-fuss firewall.  It wipes out whatever was
on the machine and replaces it with a "hardened linux" which
becomes your firewall.

        http://www.smoothwall.org

But I can't say how well it works, I don't use it myself.
I'm starting to use shorewall (just a firewall that
you install on an existing linux).  To use shorewall,
you have to have at least a 2.4 kernel (not 2.2),
that shouldn't be a problem these days.  I'm using shorewall
on a machine with a 2.6 kernel as well.

        http://www.shorewall.net

There are others... I've heard of a linux on cd that
you just leave in the cd tray (and you can remove the
hard drive of the computer) - that way no hacker can
write persistent hacks to your gateway.  But I
don't remember the name of it.

cheerio,
bjb