Re: [SIGS-L3GO] Some git stuff

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Alex Pilon <alp+l3go [ at ] alexpilon [ dot ] ca> wrote:

> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 12:39:10PM -0400, Devin Linnington wrote:
> > Don't comment on this list very often, but you could always just use a
> git
> > alias to save the majority of the command,
>
> But those were aliases in the first email… not sure what you mean? Do
> you mean ‘here are some more useful aliases’, or just ‘aliases solve the
> general problem’.

In your earlier exchange you were talking about manually typing stuff out,
if it's something you only use once a month there's no way you would
remember it so an alias makes more sense. That's all I was commenting on.

> Unless you really want to override colour, you could use %C(auto). It
> applies to the rest of the line. The choice of colours in lg1 is less
> vivid than the auto, which is really just a matter of taste,

Indeed it is ;)  Ultimately I would rather spend more time actually using
git as a VCS then screwing around with esoteric formatting options, haha.
Sometimes I get lost in the details without realizing what's important.

>     ignore=!([ ! -e .gitignore ] && touch .gitignore) | echo $1
> >>.gitignore
>
> Didn't know about !. Thanks. Didn't bother to look at aliases more—no
> need then.
>
> Does this work when deep inside a subdir of the repo?

Yeah, you can use .gitignore files anywhere in the repo:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5698148/where-does-gitignore-file-belong

However some OCD types may not like that, for me I don't particularly care.

-Devin