home | list info | list archive | date index | thread index

Re: Self-hosting? (was Re: email service)

On Sat, 03 Oct 2026 12:08:04 -0400
Lucas Francisco Fryzek via linux <linux [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org> wrote:

> How difficult is it to have the MX host on a different machine than
> the IMAP server?

Not hard.  I just configured the email routing on the MX host to route
mail for my domains (eg, "skoll.ca") to the IMAP server in my house.

I use Sendmail on my MX host for legacy reasons, but nowadays I'd use
Postfix instead and there are many tutorials for setting up rules to
route mail for a specific domain to a specific machine.  For example:
https://oneuptime.com/blog/post/2026-03-20-postfix-transport-maps-ipv4-relays/view

My IMAP server runs Postfix and Dovecot.

Regards,

Dianne.

To unsubscribe send a blank message to linux+unsubscribe [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org
To get help send a blank message to linux+help [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org
To visit the archives: https://lists.linux-ottawa.org