home | list info | list archive | date index | thread index

Re: Self-hosting? (was Re: email service)

How difficult is it to have the MX host on a different machine than the IMAP server? I would be interested in doing something similar (already have an ovh VPS and a home server) but when I tried to find a guide before it didn't seem straightforward.

BR,
Lucas

On October 3, 2026 10:33:59 a.m. EDT, Dianne Skoll via linux <linux [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org> wrote:
>I guess not many people self-host their email any more. :(
>
>I self-host mine.  My MX host is a virtual machine hosted at OVH, and
>my actual mail storage server (IMAP) is a Raspberry Pi with a couple
>of large USB disks attached.  It's about 2 metres from where I'm
>sitting.
>
>Advantages of self-hosting:
>
>- Essentially unlimited storage
>- No ads
>- I'd know for sure if a government agency got a court order to look
>  at my mail server. :)
>- Mail hosted in Canada
>
>Disadvantages:
>
>- You need a strategy to deal with spam
>- Deliverability can be tricky
>- You need your own domain name
>- Realistically, you need a hosted server to act as your MX host
>
>For me, the advantages are worth it.  I have archives of all my mail since
>1991. :)
>
>Regards,
>
>Dianne.
>
>To unsubscribe send a blank message to linux+unsubscribe [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org
>To get help send a blank message to linux+help [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org
>To visit the archives: https://lists.linux-ottawa.org
>