Re: September meeting announcement: 2024-09-05 @ 19:00 EDT

Hi Dmitriy

On 9/4/24 14:03, Dmitriy Korovkin via linux wrote:
On Mon, Sep 02, 2024 at 04:00:49PM -0400, Scott Murphy via linux wrote:
/Topics/

  *
    A quick logistical question - might expand a little
  *
    Using a (relatively) cheap laptop as a primary machine
        Tug will have a talk/discussion on his acquisition of a “cheap”
        laptop for real work.
I have been running a couple of old comps as X servers of this kind or
another. With much real work done in the clouds, is it a "make a thin client
great again" thing?

Just a new machine at a $500 price point. I also use thin clients, remote desktops, distributed builds (and Gentoo), but I have found that "new battery for old hardware" really doesn't make much economic sense. I tried the same with a 1Gb single core x86 notebook, and running X (formally known as X) apps was painfully slow, even with a custom gentoo build.

As for saving the planet, I've not attempted the calculation of constantly charging a dying battery on an inefficient 10 year old notebook vs buying a new Raspberry Pi, or indeed the new HP laptop I ended up getting.

My talk is really just a starting point, and I'm sure it will go in whatever direction others want to take it. I'd be interested in hearing other experiences of "make a thin client great again", especially if I can own my own cloud.
  *
    Owning your lighting (not lightning)
        Scott will have a short talk on converting a lamp to an IoT
        device without sending info to the cloud.
Have been doing this stuff for couple of years. Wiz2MQTT is opensourced:
https://gitlab.com/dnkorovkin/wiz2mqtt The similar ble2mqtt for BLE devices
was it's predecessor and not well designed, so I decided to keep it at home.

I remember your talk, and acquired a discarded govee light recently, and have had your project on my todo list for a while. But... I'm moving home at the moment, which partly prompted the setting up a new stand alone laptop so I could survive without the cloud, and not have to remember where anything was packed!

Tug

--
Scott Murphy
scott [ dot ] murphy [ at ] arrow-eye [ dot ] com