Re: September meeting announcement: 2024-09-05 @ 19:00 EDT

On Wed, Sep 04, 2024 at 03:00:59PM -0400, Tug Williams wrote:
> Hi Dmitriy
Hi Tug,

> > I have been running a couple of old comps as X servers of this kind or
> > another. With much real work done in the clouds, is it a "make a thin client
> > great again" thing?
>
> Just a new machine at a $500 price point. I also use thin clients, remote
> desktops, distributed builds (and Gentoo), but I have found that "new
> battery for old hardware" really doesn't make much economic sense. I tried
> the same with a 1Gb single core x86 notebook, and running X (formally known
> as X) apps was painfully slow, even with a custom gentoo build.
>
> As for saving the planet, I've not attempted the calculation of constantly
> charging a dying battery on an inefficient 10 year old notebook vs buying a
> new Raspberry Pi, or indeed the new HP laptop I ended up getting.
>
> My talk is really just a starting point, and I'm sure it will go in whatever
> direction others want to take it. I'd be interested in hearing other
> experiences of "make a thin client great again", especially if I can own my
> own cloud.
I would be interested to hear about your usecase. As I look around I seem to
see thin clients all over the place: old tablet runs as an X server for
Raspberry Pi, a Raspberry Pi runs as an X server for the desktop, the
desktop runs as an X server for the working computer and so on. May be it's
just me though.

> > Have been doing this stuff for couple of years. Wiz2MQTT is opensourced:
> > https://gitlab.com/dnkorovkin/wiz2mqtt The similar ble2mqtt for BLE devices
> > was it's predecessor and not well designed, so I decided to keep it at home.
>
> I remember your talk, and acquired a discarded govee light recently, and
> have had your project on my todo list for a while. But... I'm moving home at
> the moment, which partly prompted the setting up a new stand alone laptop so
> I could survive without the cloud, and not have to remember where anything
> was packed!
Since then it has grown up a bit. OpenHAB collects temperature/humidity from
all over the house, manages lights with the rules that grow quite
interesting. Challenges are unavoidable, of course, but the whole
construction seems quite stable.

> Tug

Regards,
--