Re: Re: July Meeting...

On 24/06/25, Michael Goguen via linux wrote:
> [...]
> freedom of communications, and maintaining secure communications over the
> 'open internet' in an age of unimaginably powerful AI running around by
> various interests... and maybe alternately... securing ... not on the open
> internet community intranets (and keeping them 'off' the public open
> internet, if people prefer'?)
>
> for those who might not want to buy into starlink, etc... are there any ...
> retro communications that... people might still like in a crisis or
> something? are there like hand held radios or devices like phones that can
> run on some kind of free open source linux through just local band radio
> that would be allowable, practical, cheap, legal, effective for some
> communications if people wanted (or believed they needed) to do this? Does
> just mentioning these where they may be... put on the public internet and
> archived and available to be harvested by the powers that be... put any...
> adaptive measures to... corrupt concentration of power and destroying
> peoples' personal freedoms... does it potentially... undermined the
> potential to do anything about these things by talking about them this
> way... so that... measure to ... countermeasures to any possible privacy or
> security people might try to make are likely to be implemented etc, and
> their... and peoples' potential dissent, let alone resistance... to
> various... agenda of powerful, including taking away some essential
> freedoms, rights and coopting / messing with legal systems and structures
> meant to protect against this, etc? that peoples' intent, whether on places
> like this forum, or through their own personal digital communications,
> being in proximity of devices, possibly belonging to someone else... will
> cause this information to be in a 'profile' about them that will have...
> 'consequences' etc?
>
> Is it ok that I put these... questions and thoughts plaintext in this email?
>

> Blessings, thank you for allowing me to continue to be connected to this
> group and explore some ideas around open source, free accessible...
> technologies to empower people... especially the linux open source
> operating system...
>

> Michael Goguen
>

> ps are any folks here fans of national capital freenet nonprofit internet
> service provider here in Ottawa?
> Do any folks from here... value the idea of partnering with the or like
> collaborating etc sometimes... on various projects?
> For instance, making wifi more available in some low income areas, or like
> cheap devices like phones etc, or even... connecting with the Ottawa
> Library and similar public resources in order to... support various
> programs to ...help various public who are interested in... certain low
> budget sort of 'communal' resource sharing for like enabling... especially
> less affluent folks to ... help themselves and others on a low budget/
> minimal means and training etc?
>
> ok sorry maybe I'm rambling a bit here now.

A bit?  There are so many ideas mashed up here that it would get more
engagement if it were split into at least 5 different subject emails.
That first blob alone with no paragraph breads was daunting.
This is going to be too much for most to parse and engage in.

> thanks in  advance.
> Michael
>
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 7:12 PM Katherine Mcmillan via linux <linux [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > There is such an emphasis on bilingualism at the Government of Canada that
> > I am putting all of my spare time into learning French so won't be able to
> > attend this meeting (but have started to attend the Linux-Meetup Aux
> > Quebec <https://www.meetup.com/linux-montreal/>, which I would highly
> > recommend).
> > <https://www.meetup.com/linux-montreal/>
> > Linux-Meetup au Québec | Meetup <https://www.meetup.com/linux-montreal/>
> > Les Linux-Meetup sont des rencontres informelles où plusieurs personnes
> > discutent de ce qui les passionnent et font un partage de leurs
> > cheminements dans le monde des logiciels libres avec GNU/Linux.Le tout se
> > déroule dans une ambiance décontractée et amicale. Venez rencontrer des
> > gens passionnés ay
> > www.meetup.com
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Katie

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\             <hpv.tricolour.ca>
<www.TriColour.ca>                 --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!