Re: Linux OS - Made in Canada?

On 2023-03-05 23:03, BCLUG wrote:
> Alan McKay wrote on 2023-03-05 17:47:
>
>> Actually I was going to say to all the Ubuntu naysayers earlier that they actually have a pretty substantial footprint
>> here in Ottawa in terms of people that they employ.
>
> I did not know that!

There are a few in Ottawa (I was one). 95% of the few hundred employees at Canonical have always been remote workers.
Canonical Canada, the Canadian subsidiary, no longer has a physical office because there is no need although it had one
in Montreal 10 years ago.

Ubuntu, like the Debian distribution it's based on, has contributors from all over the world. Some of them work for
Canonical. Many don't. Some of the smaller distributions have only one or two people who work on them but those
generally are respins of larger distros like Debian, Ubuntu, or Fedora.  Suffice it to say that no Linux distro is truly
"national" in nature, not even the official Chinese government-sanctioned ones.

--
Stephen M. Webb