Re: Next up: DKIM (was Re: Is the mailing list SPF setup fixed?)

  • Subject: Re: Next up: DKIM (was Re: Is the mailing list SPF setup fixed?)
  • From: Dianne Skoll <dianne [ at ] skoll [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 08:36:41 -0500
On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 03:04:42 -0500
Dmitriy Korovkin <dnkorovkin [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:

> If you wish some additional statistics, Gmail tests pass just fine.

That's good!  Thanks for letting me know.

> I am afraid if we remove "DKIM-Signature:" headers, the spam filters
> might not like it

Unlikely.  I don't DKIM-sign messages to the list (but I do normally DKIM-sign
all my outbound mail) and there have been no problems so far.

The correct way a mailing list should work is as follows: Suppose the
envelope sender and header From: addresses are both "someone [ at ] example [ dot ] org"

Then the addresses should be changed as follows:

Envelope sender: <linux+bounces-whatever-someone=example [ dot ] org [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org>
From: <linux [ at ] linux-ottawa [ dot ] org>
Sender: <someone [ at ] example [ dot ] org>

and then any existing DKIM-Signature header should be stripped and ideally
a new one added that signes for linux-ottawa.org

> You receive a sort of "DKIM signature invalid" error by the spam
> filter, right?

Yep.  Adding the list footer alters the message body, which breaks the
signature.

Regards,

Dianne.