Meeting announcement for May 5

Linux-Ottawa May 2022 Meeting

This month Tug Williams and John Nash will lead a discussion on the future of
Linux Ottawa and similar volunteer groups and the role of technology in their
evolution.

When: 1900 May 5, 2022
Where: Online via jitsi at link / code

   https://six.linux-ottawa.org/LinuxOttawa20220505

Some questions members might think about before next week's meeting (please
save responses for the meeting):

GOALS

* What are the goals of our group? Who is the audience for those goals?

* If the goal is to promote Linux, in what way, and to whom, does
  Linux still need promoting?

* Do we advocate ONLY open source software? The flurry of interest
  on the mailing list concerning open source meeting tools
  has shown there is a lot of energy in this direction, but should
  we not be inclusive of people who want to use and promote Linux,
  whether or not they also use non-FLOSS tools?

PROCESS

* How are we going to structure / maintain our organizational presence?
  The AGM returned just 4 Board members. Our quorum to continue operations
  is 3, and 2 Board members are in their mid-70s. In another organization
  in which one of us is active had two deaths and despite active members
  and plenty of money in the bank, a close shave with collapse. Linux-Ottawa
  is in such a precarious position.

* What services (list, meetings, ...) should and can we provide? There has
  been much discussion of how and where in-person meetings might resume,
  but as yet no concrete offer to organize one.

* Are there different ways to keep such services? Example: contract out
  the mailing list and wiki.

* A volunteer group requires volunteers, not just consumers.

Note: there have been several members who have shown some interest in
helping out, and who are considering what they may be able to contribute.
Their interest is appreciated, and we hope it will translate into
action.