Re: Meeting announcement for May 5

Hello all,

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make this meeting, however, I will be able to attend the meeting in June.  I'm sorry to have to miss what is likely to be a very interesting discussion.

I would like to provide the following thoughts on the agenda topics:

GOALS

* What are the goals of our group? Who is the audience for those goals?

* If the goal is to promote Linux, in what way, and to whom, does
   Linux still need promoting?

* Do we advocate ONLY open source software? The flurry of interest
   on the mailing list concerning open source meeting tools
   has shown there is a lot of energy in this direction, but should
   we not be inclusive of people who want to use and promote Linux,
   whether or not they also use non-FLOSS tools?

My thoughts:
Personally, I am looking for a community that doesn't make me feel like an unwelcome alien (thank you everyone for not making me feel like this).  To anyone here that works in Canadian healthcare: I come in peace.  I'm not looking for an advocacy group.  I wish not to participate in proselytizing.  With the ongoing source code leaks for Windows, the Unix-like OSes don't need much promotion, except to the extremely ignorant.

"Should we not be inclusive of people who want to use and promote Linux, whether or not they also use non-FLOSS tools".  Absolutely, Red Hat users are a welcome addition to the discussion.  I'm hoping that users of other Unix-like operating systems are too.

There is a clear difference between "social inclusion" and "tools inclusion", but parallels can be drawn.  When you add in even one closed source solution to your stack, we all know that can cause vendor lock-in and monopolization.  We all despise vendor lock-in - it's one of the values that brings open source software users together.  Open source projects can absolutely make this mistake too (ex. Open Dental), however, it is generally combatted by open source tools.

A parallel I could draw with the idea of "social inclusion" would be the idea of including a misogynist in a group on Health Equity.  Sure, we should be inclusive of everyone, but when the "everyone" includes someone who is blatantly non-inclusive themself, and violates the Code of Conduct, it has the reverse effect.  If it is safe to say "no racists, no homophobes, no misogynists, no xenophobes", why is not okay to say "no closed source software"?

PROCESS

* How are we going to structure / maintain our organizational presence?
   The AGM returned just 4 Board members. Our quorum to continue operations
   is 3, and 2 Board members are in their mid-70s. In another organization
   in which one of us is active had two deaths and despite active members
   and plenty of money in the bank, a close shave with collapse. Linux-Ottawa
   is in such a precarious position.

Personally, I cannot take on additional Board duties at this time, as I am a member of several international BoDs.  However, I am happy to promote the opportunity at Telfer School of Management, and to step in should there be an emergency.

* What services (list, meetings, ...) should and can we provide? There has
   been much discussion of how and where in-person meetings might resume,
   but as yet no concrete offer to organize one.

I am happy to assist in helping to leverage any of the open source meeting tools the group has discussed, and/or to help organize an in-person get-together.

* Are there different ways to keep such services? Example: contract out
   the mailing list and wiki.

I am interested in helping to support a mailing list, but do not have infrastructure to donate for this.  Should we need infrastructure, the University of Ottawa or Compute Canada may be open to helping.  I would want to work with someone that has done this successfully before (ex. Scott Murphy).

* A volunteer group requires volunteers, not just consumers.

This is a really important point because open source projects consistently get the "where's the accountability?" finger pointed at them.  Helpful volunteers should understand how much they are appreciated, and similarly, there shouldn't be a refusal to ask volunteers that do nothing to vacate their role, open up a chance for others, and not make us all look bad.

Just some thoughts,
Katie
________________________________
Attention : courriel externe | external email

Linux-Ottawa May 2022 Meeting

This month Tug Williams and John Nash will lead a discussion on the future of
Linux Ottawa and similar volunteer groups and the role of technology in their
evolution.

When: 1900 May 5, 2022
Where: Online via jitsi at link / code

    https://six.linux-ottawa.org/LinuxOttawa20220505

Some questions members might think about before next week's meeting (please
save responses for the meeting):

[...]

Note: there have been several members who have shown some interest in
helping out, and who are considering what they may be able to contribute.
Their interest is appreciated, and we hope it will translate into
action.