Re: Discussion item: choosing an appropriate laptop

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021, J C Nash wrote:

With possible opening up of travel and having laptops that are vintage 2014 and 2015,
we're thinking of a new one for road trips.

Does anyone have opinions on these? Have not had a hands-on look, which will be important to making
sure keyboard not "strange". Also to try to gauge whether hinge and rest of physical structure robust
enough. However, they seem to offer reasonable bang for the buck. We're not stuck on HP, or Asus, or ...
Mainly interested in reliable and long-term workhorse that we are comfortable using.

John,

You might want to check out the archives and ask on
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux

There was a recent discussion there which might be partly useful.
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardware/comments/nwred6/looking_for_a_laptop/

Some of the characteristics you are interested in are not Linux-specific, so you might also want to seek observations and opinions in more general computing forums.

Brett