Discussion item: choosing an appropriate laptop

With possible opening up of travel and having laptops that are vintage 2014 and 2015,
we're thinking of a new one for road trips.

Our considerations:

- 2 people sharing for email
- need for plenty of storage for photos and family history information, plus
  some technical projects
- reasonably fast
- robust
- we find 14" screen about right balance between visibility and portability

Our experience:

- our 2 Asus Zenbooks (I7, >8GB RAM, 512GB SSD) are quite nice, but
    -- the 3800 UHD screen gives lots of woes with apps that reset the
       resolution. Zoom really messes things about on exit.
    -- both have had hinge failure. Spent $200 to fix one, but have
       made a frame for the other and velcroed it so hinge fixed.
    -- batteries likely near end of useful life, and on the road
       you sometimes need a battery

- our 2010 Asus UL30A still has nicely balanced features, though now
  too slow and charging circuit beginning to be a nuisance. But a
  1TB spinning disk has proved exceptionally nice for road trips, since
  it can store a pretty well complete set of family photos etc.

Keeping watch on offerings, the HP machines
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_1925_1912_1909&item_id=150936  $699  i5      1920
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_1925_1912_1909&item_id=182955  $699  Ryzen 5 1366
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_1925_1912_1909&item_id=182956  $849  Ryzen 7 1920

seem interesting. Had to look at specs to see that the cheaper Ryzen is only 1366 resolution.

Does anyone have opinions on these? Have not had a hands-on look, which will be important to making
sure keyboard not "strange". Also to try to gauge whether hinge and rest of physical structure robust
enough. However, they seem to offer reasonable bang for the buck. We're not stuck on HP, or Asus, or ...
Mainly interested in reliable and long-term workhorse that we are comfortable using.

JN