Re: Ottawa lack of IXP peering

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 12:31:51PM -0500, Brett Delmage wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2021, Ian! D. Allen wrote:
> > "Known issues with Internet routing: Some of the issues we are aware of
> > with ISPs failing to keep local traffic local:
> > Ottawa, Canada; Rogers, TekSavvy, CanNet, Acanac, Start, and Virgin
> > route all traffic via Toronto (or worse). If you or any people in your
> > ensemble are using one of these ISPs it’s probably best to use a
> > Toronto server. Bell will route directly to our Ottawa servers with 2
> > – 5ms roundtrip network latency. It seems Videotron is also good."
>
> According to who?

According to syncspace.live right here:

    https://syncspace.live/get-started/

"With these kinds of situations, it may mean that it is best to use a
server in a different city. For example, if everyone in an ensemble is
getting 5ms to the server but some people are getting 30ms because their
traffic is being routed out of town and then back, it may be best to
locate the server in one of those cities that the traffic is going
through so that everyone gets roughly equal latency even though it might
not be as low as it could be for some people. These routing problems
with ISPs are beyond our control and we already put in a huge amount of
effort to locate our strategically in the most central places with the
best peering so that we can offer the lowest possible latency for the
largest number of people in that city.

If you need help sorting things out or you have more information to add
regarding problematic routing in one of our regions, please feel free to
contact us."