Re: anyone using a privacy-protecting cell phone

  • Subject: Re: anyone using a privacy-protecting cell phone
  • From: "Brenda J. Butler" <bjb [ at ] sourcerer [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 23:37:33 -0500
While I haven't looked at all the small low-end phones out there
so I can't say if this is true of all of them -

my flip-phone is low-powered but still a "smartphone".

It is the Alcatel Myflip mumble405thing and runs KaiOS rather
than Android or iOS.

It has a browser and if you wait long enough it loads most
pages (even ones with javascript).  Also some other apps
like contacts, notes, music/podcast player, calculator,
SMS/messaging, radio, etc.

So - just because it's a flipphone doesn't mean it's not capable
of smartphone stuff.

On the plus side - it seems to only run one app at a time : -)
so maybe it will slow down the big corporation trackers.  Heh.

Not sure about the "not tracking you" but for "physically
modular" and "repairable by end user" you can look for the fairphone.
Last I heard they only sold in Europe though.   Eww, I see they
now have one of those odious "dim-the-page-till-the-user-agrees-to-
accept-the-cookie-policy" pages.

Given corporations use other tech to track people now - I wish those
cookie warnings would go away.

bjb