Re: time to upgrade from 2008 technology, need OBS Studio

Hi Allen,

That sounds really overkill for zoom and video broadcasting. Don't get me wrong, a fast PC can be a lot of fun, but if you want to save a few hundred dollars I bet you can get away with a lot less if that's something you wanted to do.

I have a i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz and would be willing to test zoom + OBS studio for you in a container so you can gauge performance against this:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-6700+%40+3.40GHz&id=2598

You said 64MB of memory, are you referring to CPU cache or did you mean 64GB of RAM? I like to pick RAM by looking at my maximal resident memory, then multiplying it by 2 (or less if you're not doing much IO) to leave ample room for cache. Subtract MemAvailable from MemTotal in /proc/meminfo while the computer is under maximal load to get that number.

As for something quiet, take the money you saved on the CPU and RAM and get a notctua cooler with the largest fans that will fit in your case, which is hopefully something hefty with internal padding to dampen vibrations. (Fractal makes good ones).

The motherboard doesn't matter if you're keeping your PCs around that long, you have to upgrade everything all at once so upgrade paths don't matter. Just make sure it leaves room for a good CPU cooler for quiet operation.

NVMe drives are totally worth it for an OS drive. Add SATA as necessary for larger drives later.

Let me know if you want to see CPU load on my setup for that program.

-Chris