Re: New ISP

Bell installed fiber to the home on our street as well last year. I
couldn't find any ISP willing to provide internet over the Bell fiber other
than Bell.  I did end up holding my nose and going with Bell, but I can at
least clear up the following for you:

- Yes you can use your own modem.  You will need one with an SFP cage that
supports GPON.  There's a bit of a VLAN and PPoE set up that the Bell
connection requires, but it is easy to find on the internet.  I'm using a
Mikrotik Hex-S as my primary router (~$100, available locally from a
reseller). It can handle Gbps speeds just fine.
- I am running VOIP with voip.ms - no issues with that at all
- I don't subscribe to any other Bell service so I can't comment on that.
- Bell has unlimited usage for the (1GB) plan I have, making a free window
redundant for me.

Of course I'd love for another ISP to provide service over the fiber so I
can switch, but the last time I researched it, Bell was charging ridiculous
amounts to ISPs to lease the last mile fiber, making it impossible for them
to be competitive.