Re: Musing about higher range wifi

It's a nice idea BUT if someone uses it for illegal purposes I don't know if you'd be liable.
I'd ask your ISP and make sure it is ok with them.

On 2020-03-19 11:07 a.m., J C Nash wrote:
I'm thinking that with all of us rather confined, internet service is particularly
important. So I'm musing about the following.

Situation: In my condo development (2 corporations, about 40 dwellings in
a space about 220m by 50m) it should be possible to provide wifi with a suitable
access point. As a community gesture, I'm willing to cover reasonable costs for
upgrading my plan and modem/transmitter. Even more so if I can find someone else
who is on a different network (e.g., cable vs my NCF/Bell DSL) so there is a level
of redundancy.

Opinions sought about:

- hardware or hardware combinations

- software setup e.g., owner / guest division, security. I'd prefer to be able to
monitor usage by registered users.

- operational considerations. Most of the owners are seniors and non-tech. Simplicity
and ease of maintenance important.

- Is this a useful idea to pursue?

Best, JN