Re: Request for Advice On Choosing a Device for Installing Elementary.io

  • Subject: Re: Request for Advice On Choosing a Device for Installing Elementary.io
  • From: Charles MacDonald <cmacd [ at ] zeusprune [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 21:03:38 -0400
On 2019-10-19 12:40 p.m., scetis wrote:
Hello!
I am totally uninitiated with GNU-Linux, but after seeing a video with Stephen Fry, I thought, "If I can make the switch, I'm in!"  After reading different reviews on various 2019 distributions, I purchased the "Elementary" operating system. (https://elementary.io/). I would like to have any advice about installing it. Up until now, I have only been a PC and Macbook Pro user.

QUESTIONS
1. _*Apple or IBM Device?*_*:*  I would like to know if I should or can buy a factory Macbook Pro device or a regular factory built PC laptop. (Can either of these be purchased without OS preinstalled?

Seldom.I have bought a notebook from Eurocom in nepean without an OS, But their new machines are very high end.

2. *_Factory or Custom Build?_:* Should I have a technician do a build if neither of those will do (as they all seem to come loaded with windows or OS Lion or whatever and why pay for it if one is just going to replace it.)

some firms selling plain computers will ship a new box without a hard drive or OS. That is the way I got a couple of my desktop machines I had to install a bank drive and proceed from there. Not sure how Canada computers does in building machines, they can sell you all the parts.

3. *_Who Should Install the OS distribution?_:*  Whether I get a custom build or a pre-built factory device, should I have the shop technician install my software (give him the software on a usb to load for me), or should I try to do it myself at home on an unloaded device?

Most shops that do installed prefer to use the System they are familiar with, General a Ubuntu variation.

5. *_Where Should I Buy/Get Service?_:*  Finally, which shop is the best in Ottawa for the recommended device that you think I should get?

one thought is to see what the Trailing edge in Bells corners has in the way of used machines.

it is hard to give advice if we don't know what short of machine you need/want, what speed, Budget. what your overall experience level is. How steep a learning curve you are willing to negotiate.

--
Charles MacDonald                 Stittsville Ontario
cmacd [ at ] zeusprune [ dot ] ca              Just Beyond the Fringe