Re: Using Thunderbird (or other email clients) with Office 365 servers

There were some other suggestions, and some different port choices, but Ian!s
msg is most detailed. Some responses and queries below.

I believe that the issue will be resolvable with some appropriate settings,
since the Hiri client can connect OK (This is $$ and the configuration appears
to be encrypted in the 7 day trial.) As I indicated, I'll welcome some
shared attempts before next meeting on Mar 7, where someone may spot what
I'm missing.

On 2019-02-26 12:37 p.m., Ian! D. Allen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 09:31:06AM -0500, J C Nash wrote:
>> I've been trying to get a connection from TBird to the uOttawa Office 365 setup.
>> So far:
>> - tried IMAP -- after query have been told uOttawa has decided to block IMAP and POP.
>
> I'm curious about the above statement, since I use submission/POP3 to
> Algonquin College for my "alleni [ at ] algonquincollege [ dot ] com" email and the
> domain name I use is a generic Microsoft domain both ways.  uOttawa can't
> block POP3/IMAP since they can't block the port on the Microsoft domain,
> but maybe they can disallow authentication once connected?  (But then
> how does "Exchange" authenticate?)

It is possible apparently to allow POP or IMAP as well as Exchange protocol.
Stanford and Colorado seem to allow this. From what you indicate below,
Algonquin has the POP port open. Indeed:

  " Unfortunately, IMAP (and POP) access is still disabled on our O365 tenant. I do not foresee that changing anytime
soon. Please let me know if I can assist you with any other IT related matter."

> To send College email I (using postfix) connect to the "submission"
> port (597) at outlook.office365.com and log in using my Algonquin
> email address.  I gather uOttawa won't let you log in?  The "From:"
> field on any email I send has to match my Algonquin email address or
> else the message is rejected.  Whatever name text I use on the From:
> line is replaced with the College standard "Ian Allen".

uOttawa has been doing this to me too. A real pain. Which "From" do you
use from your local machine? I presume the account name, not the Ian.Allen
(at uOttawa nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca --> John [ dot ] Nash [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca. This is supposed to
be by user action, but someone decided to make it default.)

> To receive email (using fetchmail) I connect to the POP3 port at
> outlook.office365.com and log in using my Algonquin email address.
> I gather uOttawa won't let you log in?

Yes. It's the connection phase that I think is failing with either
DAVmail or TBsync to handle the protocol. DAVmail has some proxy
choices for username and password, which may give a way in. I'm afraid
my expertise here is not very advanced. There may be some tricks with
TBsync as well.

>> Note that my fallback is to reset on NCF, with uottawa forwarding.
>
> Yes, when Algonquin used in-house email and blocked POP3/IMAP, I used
> to forward all Algonquin email to another machine that did allow POP3.
> Once Algonquin moved to Office 365, POP3 came with it, so I stopped
> forwarding.  Have you tried POP3 to outlook.office365.com ?

Because of multiple machines, I really avoid POP/POP3. But the msg from
our IT crowd above suggests no go anyway.

> I used to send official College email from my usual mail host, but with
> the "From:" line set to my College email address and the "Reply-to:"
> line set to idallen [ at ] idallen [ dot ] ca.  That started going into spam folders
> this month, so I started using the College "submission" port instead.
>
> I use a "mutt" send-hook to rewrite my "From:" address whenever any
> recipients are at the College, and a postfix transport map to send any
> email destined to the College into the College submission port.

I'm hoping to avoid too much of the "special script" work, as I want
to prepare a "how to" for more general use. This is part of my
ongoing effort to encourage open source software, rather than let
the proprietary predators take over completely. Has anyone noticed that
proprietary software companies take money but call open-source folk
pirates? Who's the thief?

Best, JN